Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ch-ch-ch-changes


The change of the seasons; the circle of life, the cycles of business: does everything old become new again? Is there chaos in the cyclic nature of life or is there comfort? If we want to know where we are going then we should look at where we have been. When I compare my life as a baby boomer to that of my parents and grandparents, it gives me pause. My grandparents saw the world move from an agrarian society to the start of the industrial age; my parents saw the miracles of the industrial age as the new technologies of electricity led to time-saving devices; I remember the first hand-held calculator (that really only fit in your hand if you were a giant); I marvel at the changes my children will see as technology becomes even more mobile because of wireless technology. As the devices we use become portable, will the workforce become portable as well? My grandparents, like the crops they grew, were firmly planted in the land. My parents, standing along the assembly line, had security and stability without mobility in their employment. When the onset and rapid change of technology dawned in my professional life, change and obsolescence became the norm. As the wireless age of work approaches, what will the youth see in their careers? Will they be techno-gypsies moving from assignment to assignment or will they stay home and work through the Internet? Will their horizons expand globally? What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. My opinion is that they will just do what comes naturally, they'll just pick up the technology of the day, adapt to it like the previous generations of humans and then not understand the new technology as they move into middle age.

    I hope, more than know, that there is a basic human need that technology can never replace such as reading paper bound books, face to face contact, blowing out the candles on a birthday cake and conversation over coffee and tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Dwight. The next generation is very fond of coffee houses. Could that be the workplace and classroom of the future?

    ReplyDelete